Sunday, January 18, 2015

Beyond the Horizon

Love you till we die,
And once we are dead and gone,
We'll still be in love.

Another one in the series of "Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad" ruminations, as Bono might have put it, from Dylan's more recent albums. This, from "Modern Times," is one of those pre-rock-n'-rollers that Dylan has been performing lately as well, taking its structure from "Red Sails in the Sunset." He works in notes about meeting someone just in time and yet being blue.

Contrast this:

Beyond the horizon o'er the treacherous sea I still can't believe that you've set aside your love for me Beyond the horizon, 'neath crimson skies In the soft light of morning I'll follow you with my eyes Through countries and kingdoms and temples of stone Beyond the horizon right down to the bone Beyond the horizon the sky is so blue I've got more than a lifetime to live lovin' you With this: It's dark and it's dreary I ponder in vain I'm weakened, I'm weary My repentance is plain

Nobody ever said he didn't bring a lot to the party.

(PS: for some reason, perhaps because of the "horizon" mention in the title, it makes me think of those aviation films of the old days, Chuck Yeager and the test pilots of "The Right Stuff," and those silly romance books like "The Crowded Sky" by Hank Searls, but this is purely my problem)




1 comment:

  1. Hello there Robert, Thank you for posting this analysis of a song from Bob Dylan's Music Box http://thebobdylanproject.com/Song/id/62/Beyond-the-Horizon Come and join us inside and listen to every song composed, recorded or performed by Bob Dylan, plus all the great covers streaming on YouTube, Spotify, Deezer and SoundCloud plus so much more... including this link.

    ReplyDelete