Saturday, January 31, 2015

The Christmas Blues

Christmas time sucks if
You have no friends or lover
To buy presents for.

This bluesy Christmas carol was written by Sammy Cahn and David Holt. Jo Stafford released a version in 1953, as did Dean Martin. Dylan's version appeared on "Christmas in the Heart." Here are the lyrics:

The jingle bells are jingling The streets are white with snow The happy crowds are mingling But there's no one that I know I'm sure that you'll forgive me If I don't enthuse I guess I've got the Christmas blues I've done my window shopping There's not a store I've missed But what's the use of stopping When there's no one on your list You'll know the way I'm feeling When you love and you lose I guess I've got the Christmas blues When somebody wants you Somebody needs you Christmas is a joy of joy But friends when you're lonely You'll find that it's only A thing for little girls and little boys May all your days be merry Your seasons full of cheer But 'til it's January I'll just go and disappear Oh Santa may have brought you some stars for your shoes But Santa only brought me the blues Those brightly packaged tinsel covered Christmas blues Oh Santa may have brought you some stars for your shoes But Santa only brought me the blues Those brightly packaged tinsel covered Christmas blues




No comments:

Post a Comment