Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Meet Me in the Morning

I crawl through barbed wire
To love you, and you know what?
It doesn't feel good.

I've never heard a song that sounds like "Meet Me in the Morning." It's not the form, which is blues, and it's not the lyrics, which are harrowing though conventional. There's something eerie about the easygoing country sound of the guitars combined with the tale of the singer who is only too willing to go through many trials to be with his love -- and when he gets what he wants, he gets the sinking feeling that it's not all that good for him. The song moves into some strange, spooky territory with the music. I don't know what kind of drums they're using on the song or how it was recorded. They thump along in some muffled away along with creative high-hat use (high hat? hi hat?) and are accompanied at one point at the end of the song by a raucous guitar solo and some other guitar sounds that take the song into a whole new territory of strange beauty. The bass work is basic, but effective, and there's some other kind of guitar in there, I don't know what kind, that responds with different riffs and fillips to the repeated lines in each verse after Dylan sings them. Truly magical stuff. The song opens side 2 of the 1975 album "Blood on the Tracks."

Samples:

They say the darkest hour is right before the dawn
But you wouldn’t know it by me
Every day’s been darkness since you been gone

Well, I struggled through barbed wire, felt the hail fall from above
Well, you know I even outran the hound dogs
Honey, you know I’ve earned your love

Look at the sun sinkin’ like a ship
Ain’t that just like my heart, babe
When you kissed my lips?



1 comment:

  1. Hello Robert, yes another slice of Bob Dylan's musical history. You can join us inside his Music Box http://thebobdylanproject.com/Song/id/408/Meet-Me-in-the-Morning and listen to every version of every song composed or performed by Bob Dylan.

    ReplyDelete