Monday, August 17, 2015

Rollin' and Tumblin'

"Slut" charms Bob. He dreads
Early sorrow and pines for
His long-gone lover.

The original "Rollin' and Tumblin'" was first recorded by Hambone Willie Newbern in 1929, though the ones that most contemporary audiences know are by Muddy Waters and Cream. Bob Dylan recorded his own variation for the 2006 album "Modern Times." I notice that in the past few years, he's referred to various "bitches," "hags" and "sluts" on his albums. I do wish he wouldn't, but he's the artist. One such "slut" appears here:

1. I rolled and tumbled all night long.
2. I have troubles. "Some lazy slut has charmed away my brains."
3. The landscape is glowing in the day's golden light. I'm going to say whatever I want from now on.
4. I tried to keep from thinking about you. I paid my dues, but my heart still suffers.
5. I get up every morning and go lie down outside. I can do whatever I want.
6. This latest girlfriend of mine was such a troublesome woman that "I swear I ain't gonna touch another one for years."
7. It's getting warm and the buds are beginning to bloom (I think I know what's going on here.). I continue to try to satisfy the woman I already have.
8. The sun came up again, as always. Oh, you're going to burn in hell one of these days.
9. Shadows and doom: I'm raising the souls of the dead from their decaying tombs.
10. Let's settle our past differences, baby.
11. I rolled and tumbled all night long.




1 comment:

  1. Hello there Robert, Thank you for posting this analysis of a song from Bob Dylan's Music Box http://thebobdylanproject.com/Song/id/530/Rollin-and-Tumblin Come and join us inside and listen to every song composed, recorded or performed by Bob Dylan, plus all the great covers streaming on YouTube, Spotify, Deezer and SoundCloud.

    ReplyDelete