Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Thunder on the Mountain

His soul's expanding:
Bob thinks of Alicia Keys,
Love, mercy and work.

This opening track from the 2006 album "Modern Times" is a great, luxurious pistol shot of expectation. It feels like Dylan is ready for act five of his life, and it's beginning with a fine period of renewal, humor and drive. It feels like nothing has happened for ages, and finally something is about to. It's a great opener for an album. 

1. Thunder on the mountain, fire on the moon, fights in the alley, it's nearly dawn. Hot stuff everywhere I go.
2. Alicia Keys makes me cry. Where on earth can she be? I'm so much older than she is.
3. "I feel like my soul is beginning to expand. Look into my heart and you will sort of understand." You made me fall in love with you and now you're done with me? Just study the writing on the wall.
4. I don't need a guide. I know the way to the music. "Remember this, I'm your servant both night and day."
5. "Gonna forget about myself for a while, gonna go out and see what others need."
6. "I've been sitting down, studying the art of love. I think it will fit me like a glove." "I want some real good woman to do just what I say. Everybody got to wonder what's the matter with this cruel world today."
7. I don't mind walking the hard road because some day I'll reap my heavenly reward. I also wouldn't betray your love.
8. I'm going to raise a tough army from the orphanages. I've made my religious vows. "I've sucked the milk out of a thousand cows."
9. "I got the pork chops, she got the pie. She ain't no angel and neither am I. Shame on your greed, shame on your wicked schemes. I'll say this, I don't give a damn about your dreams."
10. Twister's coming. The ladies of Washington are trying to evacuate.
11. I'm gonna try farming up north. "The hammer's on the table, the pitchfork's on the shelf. For the love of God, you ought to take pity on yourself."

This a radio edit. I can't find the full version...



No comments:

Post a Comment