Sunday, August 2, 2015

Oh, Sister

You are my sister,
And Dad will be angry if
You don't sleep with me.

It's not a song about incest. It refers to his SPIRITUAL sister and that the father in question is GOD. But why should that stop me from having fun with the haiku?

This song, which appeared on the 1976 album "Desire," makes putting out a religious duty rather than George Michael's more straightforward, "I Want Your Sex." Michael says it's natural; Dylan says it's scriptural. And if anything, he seems rather insistent, kind of like a religious Elvis Presley saying, "It's now or never, My love won't wait."

Oh, sister, when I come to lie in your arms
You should not treat me like a stranger
Our Father would not like the way that you act
And you must realize the danger

(Translation:
Why do you not want to have sex with me? God would be unhappy. That's dangerous. Have sex with me.)

Oh, sister, am I not a brother to you
And one deserving of affection?
And is our purpose not the same on this earth
To love and follow His direction?

(Translation:
I deserve to have sex with you. We were put on this earth to have sex. It's what God wants. Have sex with me.)

We grew up together
From the cradle to the grave
We died and were reborn
And then mysteriously saved

(Translation:
We had sex in a previous life. I can't explain it, but I think we should have sex in this life too.)

Oh, sister, when I come to knock on your door
Don’t turn away, you’ll create sorrow
Time is an ocean but it ends at the shore
You may not see me tomorrow

(Translation:
We should have sex. If you don't, you'll make me sad. You'll make God sad. I can tolerate this for only so long. Otherwise, I might find someone else to have sex with.)






1 comment:

  1. Robert is at it again with another fine analysis of this song. Follow us into Bob Dylan's Music Box http://thebobdylanproject.com/Song/id/463/Oh,-Sister and listen to all the great versions now.

    ReplyDelete