Monday, August 17, 2015

Take Me As I Am (Or Let Me Go)

When we date people,
They want to change us. Please don't.
I am who I am.

Here's a Boudleaux Bryant song from the 1970 album "Self-Portrait," the second cover by him to appear there. It's a complaint about a lover who keeps trying to reshape the singer's image to suit him (or her).

Why must you always try to make me over
Take me as I am or let me go
White lilies never grow on stalks of clover
Take me as I am or let me go

You're trying to reshape me like your old love
In the image of the one you used to know
But I won't be a stand in for an old love
Take me as I am or let me go

You're trying to reshape me like your old love
In the image of the one you used to know
But I won't be a stand in for an old love
Take me as I am or let me go




No comments:

Post a Comment